Monday, April 18, 2011

I Need Another Story

I'm shuffle-mode listening to i-tunes again and trying to think about what to write about next. The Jeff Gordon Children's Foundation project is done and I want to get back on track with blogging. The problem with music playing in the background is that I tend to forget my thoughts and just start singing the lyrics instead. Here's what I'm talking about:

One Republic's Secrets: "I need another story, something to get off my chest. My life gets kinda boring. Need something that I can confess."

Linkin Park's What I've Done: "In this farewell, there's no blood. there's no alibi. Cause I've drawn regret, from the truth, from a thousand lies. So let mercy come, and wash away what I've done."

Linkin Park's Waiting For The End: "This is not the end, this is not the beginning, just a voice like a riot rocking every revision. But you listen to the tone and the violent rhythm though the words sound steady something emptys within em."

I think everyone chooses songs for different reasons and though many of my musical preferences are the same as yours, I recently discovered that I'm drawn to songs that reflect pain with poetry. If the song has the same three lines sung ad nauseum, I'm just going to change the channel. But if the artist is lyrically clever, a la Eminem (sans vulgarity), I can listen to those selections all day. Since hurt and devastation are "easy" to write about, those type of songs tend to have the depth I'm looking for versus Top 40 chart toppers that often leave you singing along without ever prompting your mind to start working. "Baby you're a firework". Really? OK. With that in mind, BANG! I'm brain dead.

My wife had me download a song this morning that has meaning for her. It's Gratitude by Nichole Nordiman. As I'm writing this blog I'm also listening to it for the first time. I can hear the reasons why Dana would love it and though it wouldn't be something I'd put on my i-pod, I'm happy to bring some joy to my wife by giving her this download as a gift. For me there's just not enough pain to make the song very appealing.

What does that say about me? I guess that's a topic for another story. Just need to turn off i-tunes to make that happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment