Tuesday, January 4, 2011

I Lost My Mojo

It was early this morning that I got fired up to write something, anything, just to get back in the groove. When I looked at what I had on my home project to-do list, I just thought that I'd add commentary about those to the "something/ anything" and I'd have a fluid blog entry worthy of posting. I remember having the feeling that I was going to put all of this together successfully and give you all an entry I was even going to like.

Unfortunately, I made a mistake. If I had just thought to write down all of my thoughts before I got the day started, I'd have enjoyable text for you now. Instead, I have diddly squat.

Nada. Zip. A mental black hole.

Why the hell didn't I write when I had the inspiration and opportunity? In a complex way, I could intricately describe my day of chores to you from the moment the kids left the house until right now. Hell, I could even give you a time-line showing when I was busy getting stuff done.

I'll opt for a simpler answer, and a bit on insight about me instead: I'm easily distracted. Here's what went wrong: I got hungry, toasted an English muffin, and turned on ESPN. This is exactly the moment that my day died.

Inspiration was replaced with satiation. Opportunity morphed into procrastination. Content and context were removed for fillers and byproducts. My filet mignon of a blog turned into a frozen corndog right before my eyes except I didn't see it because ESPN2 had a lively debate about a wide receiver getting out of prison and I just had to watch. Plaxico Burress will be playing football this July when he's a free man and I'll probably still be staring at the HDTV well after he's resumed an NFL career.

Yes, I managed to handle the tasks of every day life first and as such, the back of the chair that Sami broke off is fixed and the bathtub seal has had it's initial re-caulking. Those projects had to get done today and it's all "mission accomplished" on that front. It's the sitting down after I finished the home repairs that is killing me now. Any creative momentum I had built came to a screeching halt when I powered on the TV set.

The sad part about this is that I can tell you when Plax is getting out of jail (June 24th) but I can't even remember how I was going to start the blog this morning. Stupid ESPN2 program. Stupid Me2.

Tomorrow is another opportunity to share my thoughts so I'll end the self deprecation now in favor of taking a shower and getting ready to volunteer in Sami's kindergarten class. Hopefully the kids and teachers will give me material to use for another blog entry and I'll be smart enough to write it down before the TV gets turned on again. Otherwise, the next entry will be another something/ anything that isn't worth reading any more than this one was.

Tomorrow: from liquid nails to nail polish; a day in the life of a stay at home father of girls. I think this one has potential; I just need to keep snacking so I don't sit down in the living room again.

No comments:

Post a Comment