Sunday, March 22, 2020

You Are The Music In Me


I write for fun. I write for others. I write for the sake of remembering. I write for money.

I don't write to expose. I don't write to complain. There are many reasons I stay silent.

But I should write lyrics because I can and so many can not.


Needing writing inspiration. I finally got it from an old friend DJ'ing global alternative music on Facebook. Here are some of the lyrics I think I'm hearing from a "song" he's playing:


I just got paid the time. I am a carrot.
Buh buh buh buh buh buh buh buh buh buh buh
beep beep doink buh bum bum bum
ugh ugh buh bug buh buh bug bug…….Carpe Diem. I am a carrot.

Uh.........um….....what in the hell was that???????

This guy could be reciting bible verses. He could be selling house salads. I have no idea what he's singing and half of it wasn't English. Even the parts that were sung in English made zero sense. I do like carrots though. Surprisingly I'm both apparently appalled by his lyric proficiency and currently somewhat hungry.

I'll keep his beat and instrumentals but use words from my world:

A stay at home parent. Evolution revolution?
Not ready for kids 24/7.
A plan to move ahead. Maybe the one solution.
Going down the path to the true heaven?

The lyrics I composed sounded much better when I was dancing to the techno crap my Facebook friend was playing. Just trust me. Imagine a ton of deep bass beats thumping 'bum bum bum' while I'm singing about the most major life decision I ever made and you get the idea.


I'm not a lyricist but I do have a wife, three kids, and a puppy who need me to stay sane and for our benefit, writing for fun helps me move toward that goal. Truth is this blog is a break they allow me to have once in a while and I'm using every second as a mental vacation. Life downstairs and outside can pause for an hour.


For a reality check and a reminder of why we have a quarantine in place, the USA COVID counts as of now: 32,356 infected, 414 deaths. This is just the tip of the iceberg. My advice? Wash everything and keep a journal. Maybe write a song too.








.
























No comments:

Post a Comment