Tuesday, November 30, 2010

$ounds Good to Me

No matter how much I want the mailbox to be bill-free, reality seldom matches desire. It has become a running joke in our family that with each opening of the mailbox, I'm going to find monthly reminders that no one is paying me. My kids even enjoy uttering the phrase "I wish someone would pay us!". I truly hate paying our bills.

Before this goes any further, let me just say that I know I can get a job and could be receiving a check in the mail once in a while. Put that aside for the point I'm about to make:

If our government has gotten into the system of bailing out failing industry that is essential to the economy, why don't stay at home parents get a check twice a month?

If I do my job correctly, my children will be nurtured, educated, mentored, and given a solid moral foundation. Isn't that the stuff that we want for our future leaders and productive members of society? Think of it this way, if a stay at home parent successfully does all these things, won't future generations stand a better chance of making decisions for the betterment of themselves and our nation? Perhaps kids that have learned right from wrong won't give poor people false hope of buying homes that they can't afford. Maybe these same kids will grow up building cars that won't break down quickly and understand what getting a job done is really all about. Is it inconceivable that kids raised by good stay at home parents might have a brighter future than others? No, and I'm surely not being politically correct by saying this either.

In my opinion, proper parenting is a dieing industry that needs a bailout.

Stay at home parenting, done by well trained adults, is an essential industry that goes unnoticed when done correctly. I willingly gave up my career to raise the girls because this is what my family needed and also because we could afford to temporarily lose one income. If the government supplemented what I monetarily lost, bill paying would become less painful and I could focus all of my attention to helping my children reach their fullest potential. That's what every parent should want for their child and what society needs for it's future as well. If our government can give the wealthiest 1% a bailout so their estates can have green grass all year long, why can't the other 99% of us get a little watering can to keep things alive too?

My mailbox is stuffed with reminders that I have to pay for the services I need. I pay the electric company because my family needs to eat and have light to read. I pay the phone company because my family needs to communicate long distances and I pay the utility bill because we need water to drink and clean our bodies with.

As a parent, I am staying at home to raise my daughters so they have more time with me in which to learn how to make good choices in life. Doesn't society need that? Seriously people, if we're looking at how things are done these days, the government needs to pay me for this.

By the way, my services don't come cheap. Hard to come up with a figure but I'll give it a shot if this desire ever matches reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment